Friday 30 November 2012

Challenge of Colour reveal




Welcome!  I’m a little late to the party today.  I’m actually waiting for the sun to come up enough for me to take some pictures to share what I created for the challenge.  This is the third challenge I’ve joined Erin for, and it’s very exciting that she had Brandi join in as a hostess this round.  What a team!  I knew I was going to love working from this challenge starting point, satellite photos from the United States Geological Service that Brandi palettified.  I can’t wait to hop around and see each of the palettes.  Here is my starting point



Normally I would do a little research about lake Amadeus, but I can tell you I didn’t know off the top of my head where it was and I decided to keep it that way.  With this challenge all about the colour I opted to look no further than the image in front of me. 

I work with polymer, so the starting point for me with something like this is to mix up a bunch of colours and see what comes of it.  The only real plan I had was to experiment with some techniques and create a sheet of polymer similar to the picture.   In progress the acid green was a lot brighter, but as I worked that intensity got a bit turned down as the stretching of the process thins the polymer and the darker shades beneath change the colour.  

I love exploring polymer like draping fabric.  I take a thin sheet in my hands and fold and ruffle until I’m happy.   I think I made a mermaid to swim in this lake!



When I was done with this long look on leather, all the parts knotted together I thought it might be fun for it to do double duty and be worn short too.



Now she looks a little bit more like she is swimming.  Of course if I had this plan all along I would have a neater connection for that little swirl of wire acting as a hook clasp.  I think I will go back with more polymer and beef it up a bit. 

I’ll update with some more details later, just posting on my lunch break now.
I can’t wait to see what everyone else has come up with! 

Erin Prais-Hintz
Brandi Hussey
Rebecca Anderson
Kris Auderer Chrizette Bayman Lori Bowring Michaud Courtney Breul Lynsey Brooks
Stephanie Buss Iveth Caruso
Shannon Chomanczuk
Lisa Cone
Cece Cormier Lori Dorrington
Dawn Doucette
Jeannie Dukic
Kim Dworak
Beth Emery
Janice Everett
Pam Farren
Donetta Farrington
Gloria Ferrer Cherrie Fick
Therese Frank
Patty Gasparino
Tanya Goodwin
Ambra Gostoli
Jess Green
Denielle Hagerman
Mary Harding
Karla Hartzog
Kim Hora
Emanda Johnson
Jennifer Justman
Sue Kennedy Ema Kilroy
Lee Koopman
Linda Landig
Kirsi Luostarinen
Cynthia Machata
Alicia Marinache
Beth McCord
Mary K McGraw
Karen Mitchell
Cheri Mitchell-Reed
Aimee Moisa
Karla Morgan
Penny Neville
Becky Pancake
Kashmira Patel
Alice Peterson
Kayla Potega
Debbie Price
Bobbie Rafferty
Caron Reid
Nicole Rennell
Cynthia Riggs
Andrea Ross
Sally Russick
Annie Scherz
Pam Sears
Renetha Stanziano
Sandra Stein
Kristen Stevens
Tracy Stillman
Sherri Stokey
Lola Survillo
Kay Thomerson
Jo Tinley
Emma Todd
Cory Tompkins
Pam Traub
Melissa Trudinger
Michelle Tucker
Shelley Graham Turner
Monique Urquhart
Rachel Van-Walsh
Patti Vanderbloemen
Lesley Watt
Lynn White
Joan Williams

27 comments:

  1. Love it! You mixed (?) the colors wonderfully and I love how it can be worn two ways! Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mermaid and how you were able to capture the colors in the palette so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weren't the Challenge of Color palettes just beautiful? I was so happy with the ones I got. You made such a gorgeous piece with yours! You did a fantastic job on this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Polymer never ceases to amaze me! All the wonderful things you can do with it! Well, the wonderful things that YOU can do, not me, LOL. I keep telling myself that I want to learn more about it and then get sidetracked. I love that little mermaid! she's wonderful and truly looks like she is swimming

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh WOW you are amazing with PC! what a stunning piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you finally got your post up, Emma... when I know you're taking part in a blog hop, I can't wait to see what twisted and depraved experiments you have forced upon your helpless clay LOL. As usual, you have come up with an amazing interpretation while "playing around"... very cool.

    Lake Amadeus=Northern Australia BTW (didja think I wouldn't wanna know LOL?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a clever creation you have made based on the inspiration from your Color palette - Love the playfulness of both poses :) JLynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Free for pc design...never would have thought of doing something like this. You did it effortlessly. It looks like art rather than jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh...a mermaid!!!! I am trying to decide if I like her head or her arms the most...I just love that pop of green in hour clay! So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So different - I love the mermaid. So creative of you, and it can be worn two ways. Nice!!! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Truly gorgeous! Its amazing how you are magically able to convert clay into anything at all that your heart desires! Not everyone has that, you are something special!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful use of materals and elements - adore your design Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
  14. I seriously thought that was a silky material you used in your necklace but it is CLAY...you are an amazing artist! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is stunning! I love your mermaid and she looks so at home in your necklace. I also thought the polymer arms and tail were silk as well. You did a phenomenal job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job using your color palette.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! The colors are a perfect match to the palette, and I'm just so impressed with your abilities with polymer clay.

    Thank you for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You must have a very good eye for colour to mix the polymer clay to get a good match. I love the draping, it give a wind swept/water(?)swept feel to the piece

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your polymer works is amazing, love the draping.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a creative use of materials! The draping is amazing. I love that you can wear this two ways!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic response to the challenge -- so sculptural!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love what you created Emma! That mermaid is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is wonderful that the clay can maintain that draped organic form. Truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those colors work swimmingly together! (I couldn't resist a bit of mermaid humor ;-) Since I don't work in colors of polymer I am always inspired to see how this humble medium can be worked. I love that you made this color palette come alive with the draping of the clay. Very innovative design! I like things that can be worn multiple ways as well. Thank you for joining me in this Challenge Miss Emma! Enjoy the day. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a sweet mermaid...I love what you've created!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great necklace. I just can't seem to get clay to do what I want with it, like you have. Love it doubled over.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think, thanks for taking the time to join in the conversation