Saturday 11 August 2012

It's time to get your fill of bead soup!

Hello, hello! Welcome to reveal day for the 6th Bead Soup Blog Party!  This is my first time joining in so if you’re new here I work with polymer as my primary media.  If you haven’t heard about the BSBP I’ll let the inspired and impressive Lori Anderson describe it in her own words.
Here is the beautiful and thought provoking soup that my partner Lois Moon de Padilla sent me



Isn’t that pendant, made by Tracee Dock incredible? She has similar palette/pattern pendant here and here as a brooch.  I love how it’s suggestive of a flower, but the colour of the “petals” could make you think of them as leaves.  I stayed in that vein, creating floral referencing polymer pieces to accompany my soup.  This is what I finally ended up with.

BSBP DONE

I say finally since I think this was one instance where I had too many ideas going on and this is the scaled back version, seriously.  I struggled with wanting to use more of the lovely selections from Lois all in this piece but “more is more” didn’t hold – frankly it just looked a mess and too busy with earlier attempts.  I ultimately played by the rules and used both the clasp and focal but only ten other beads from that whole bounty above. 

I created the three polymer components you see in teals, browns, and pinks.  It may be hard to make out in the dead on shots, but the mottled cafe-au-lait coloured parts are raised and hollow, to spare some weight (not that this is heavy be any stretch).  The recycled sari silk is so lovely to wear, and really helped simplify this necklace. Although I fought the idea for a while as too easy.  There is no wire in this, only the silk, waxed linen to tie it all together and “cotton suede” I used for the bail.  All this textile allows for easy movement with the length short enough not to interfere with scoop necks but long enough to just be seen as I look down.  That’s how we all measure necklaces right?

Time for some closer looks

bsbp petals

The little pink polymer petals are applied individually at the final stage of this multi-cured component.  Notice too there are three colour layers so you get some nice interest from the side.  I had never heard of cotton suede but I guess my local bead store has a moral objection to leather products.  It knotted beautifully and looks plenty strong.

bsbp clasp detail

Above is the close up on the clasp and a few of the beads Lois sent.  To the right, I’m pointing out that ribbed copper bead which is a minor detail here but really launched so much more.

ribbed mokume

That copper bead inspired the purchase of that vintage yellow bead, which is about an inch across, and that bead became the tool to create the texture you see on the polymer sheet on the left.  I used the resulting veneer to make the two pendants on the far right.  The process muted the colours so they no longer go with the remaining soup however I will be drilling a hole through one shortly to put on a simple sterling chain for my mum, for her birthday – today!

Ok if I didn’t lose you in that last photo hopscotch I have just two more.  Right now I kinda feel like the kid who picked out all the cashews from the mixed nuts and walked away… since I’ve only the one completed piece to show you.  But I have so much more in the pipeline with all the rest from Lois, and the rest I picked up on my shopping trip (I have a truly awesome plan for the delicas I just got frustrated and had to rest it a bit)

bead leftovers

These are going to come together with all the as-yet-unused beads I created from this inspiration

bead leftovers by me

Those ones in front on the left, did you guess yet where that texture came from?

So it seems my soup has regenerated.  I know, it was a big batch and I froze the rest to bring it out on a rainy day.  Really, I’m going to work with these bits and baubles and hope to reveal the rest say on the 25th tagging along with the third reveal.  I hope you will stop back then or consider following along since I’m sure I might change plans a few more times between now and then.

I’m glad I didn’t promise any brevity with this post, but they aren’t all such marathons.  Please be sure to check out my very creative partner Lois and all the other amazing participants (scroll down for the second reveal).

Lastly, I am so very thankful for the spark from Lois and the incredible fuel for the fire from Lori – how does she do it?

79 comments:

  1. It's completely To.Die.For!!! Beautiful beads, design and execution!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is simply amazing! What a transformation!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the polymer clay additions. Very, very inspiring piece of work. I love the two focals you created too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all those details, so charming! A real statement necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of the best necklaces in the second reveal! So romantic (just like me ^_^) and cute. I feel inspired :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another Polymer Clay Artist to add to my blog list. How exciting. I really like the imaginative way you incorporated PC into your piece. Beautiful. And I am going to have to get a big bead for texture. Love the MG effect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just amazing. Love how you combined the poly clay with the beads to make a stunning statement

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, beautiful beyond words. like JuLee said, another polymer clay artis to add to my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic polymer clay job! And great using of focal!Regards from Poland, Dorota

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm almost speechless !!!!
    STUNNING design !!!!!
    m.e. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am blown away by the beauty and creative design of this piece. It is awe-inspiring!!! Absolutely gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful job on the necklace, and I enjoyed your narration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful job on the necklace, and I enjoyed your narration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoa that is cool! Your soup is great, but you turned it into wearable art. I love, love, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty. I like the way you surrounded that wonderful focal with your leaf pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is an excellent design! Love the colors and your use of the polymer clay

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome piece. I was so involved in your fantastic photos and writing, I could have soaked up even more detail! Will definitely be waiting for the follow-up pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Emma, you are the lucky winner of my giveaway of Lori Anderson's book. I just blogged about it at torquestory.blogspot.com! (And what a lovely statement necklace you made from your bead soup! I love the colors and textures.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So pretty love the color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i love the way we can see your process, and how the focal is reflected in your polymer!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely necklace! Looking forward to see what you make of the rest :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my gosh how completely unexpected! You rocked it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You really outdid yourself Emma! The design and detailing blows me away. Absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stunning. Incredible creation. You did very well.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing! Gorgeous! Beautiful! I could go on if you like :)I thought the pendant was amazing until I saw your polyclay work. Perfect! (there's another for you).

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a stunner of a necklace! Love the polymer clay additions you made - it really set off the pendant. So interesting to read about your polymer clay creative process - your work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW! You have hit it out of the ball park, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow what a table full of goodness. Your finished piece is gorgeous and the rest in the making are going to be just as amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the colors and how you pulled out the center design of the focal and incorporated it into your polymer clay piece! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very unique. Very different. VERY cool.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh Emma that is quite a statement piece. I would love to have a polymer clay play date with you.

    ReplyDelete
  32. E - the focal you received is beautiful but you just brought it to life. I especially love the little pink petals! Very creative and very sweet interpretation....oh and Happy Birthday wished to your Mum!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow! Your poly clay work is incredible - you made the wonderful focal stand out in such a stunning way!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a dramatic piece. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  35. You have created a wonderful piece of art :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. is that a statement necklace necklace or what??! i love all the little details too! just gorgeous..

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow! So striking. You really approached this as a work of art - and it is. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your polymer work is wonderful. I'll be back for your second helping.

    ReplyDelete
  39. so creative, I love it!
    ciao dall'Italia

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love your polymer work, it is just beautiful with the focal from your soup.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Very different I like your polymer petals it makes a beautiful necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Emma, my goodness, your epic narrative has my brain churning... so many ideas! I have to begin by remarking on that incredible multi-step PC focal you created; so organic and woody, yet a touch of retro styling, too. Boss!

    O.K., mokume gane is an addiction of mine, a strange ice-cream-and-whipped-cream childish delight. I've never met one I didn't love, and even after hundreds of combinations, I've not outgrown my excitement at that moment of taking the first slice. The fact that the colours weren't suitable to the project at hand? Ah, what a shame... we'll have to DO IT AGAIN. Yippee! The simplicity of your "tool" is a revelation. Checking components now for texture possibilities...

    I have one question, Emma. Are you (like yours truly) running out of horizontal space to store all the WIPs?

    I've been in your GFC gang for awhile... I think I was #15??... so I'll definitely be back for more "revealing" exposé at the appropriate time.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wow, I just love it! Your necklace is really great and I love all the other beads you made to use at a later date.
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh my gosh... such amazing work! Love your bead soup... You are amazing with polymer! Very dynamic!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh my goodness. That is amazing. I don't know what to say other than that. You are certainly an artist. Beatifully done.

    Melissa Muir
    http://design.kcjewelbox.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wow! That is quite the polymer work! So inspiring! What an incredible piece.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I'm just going to say right now that you are like a M.A.S.T.E.R of polymer clay! I'm totally flabbergasted at that necklace you made-It's seriously incredible :)

    You definitely had a beautiful soup to work with, too. I can't wait to see what else you create with it!

    Happy Hopping :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Did you hear me squeal? I soo love the polymer clay you created for the necklace, and the extra components are making me drool ALL OVER my computer!!!! You totally showed off that gorgeous focal, and I am so in awe of the ideas that came to you from that little ribbed bead. I think you need to make some more of those components and share....:) Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. That necklace is such a statement! Thank you for the great explanation of the steps you took to make it. Lovely colours in that beautiful clay pendant which you drew inspiration from to make the polymer clay surround
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  50. Beautiful piece. I love how the polymer frames the focal without overpowering it and the sari silk really is a beautiful colour. That bead makes an excellent and surprising texture.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Wow I love what you did with your soup, very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Amazing and unique. It's a beautiful art necklace and your extra beads are to die for! (Still have to get my clay out, hmm!)

    ReplyDelete
  53. Oh holey moley. . .you really created something special and thought out of the box entirely! That's always a good thing. Nicely done (and thanks for the reminder)

    ReplyDelete
  54. Oh, wow!! I'm just getting started on polymer clay, and what inspiration you've provided! Love what you've done with that focal, and am DYING to see what happens to that ash green/peach colorway you've got happening there. Right at the moment, though, I'm going to check out your Etsy shop. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  55. Your polymer work is fantastic and the necklace is awesome.

    ~cryssT

    ReplyDelete
  56. I thought I visited everybody's blog on the reveal day.How could I miss yours ????
    I enjoyed your post and the necklace is just breathtaking

    ReplyDelete
  57. Amazing necklace and I loved reading about how your bead soup inspired you to create even more things!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Hi Emma,
    I love your necklace, the piece you made to enhance the focal pendant is awesome! Beautiful job.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  59. I hope tha t I will have some success with polymer clay. You have it mastered!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Oh my goodness, all I can say is WOW!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Your explanation of your process and what inspired you was fun to read. It looks like you have fun making your fabulous piece and have tons of ideas for more.

    ReplyDelete
  62. So unique and stunning! I love the polymer work!

    ReplyDelete
  63. I'm slowly working my way through the bead soups. Your neckpiece is just beautiful! I love your polymer beads, and the colors are fabulous. Thanks for sharing the process and how you were inspired by certain beads. I'm looking foward to seeing what else comes from this soup.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Your necklace is incredible a real art piece that is so stunning! Great job with your bead soup!

    ReplyDelete
  65. That necklace is a true statement piece! Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  66. Wow Great piece! I love your clay pieces. I really enjoyed your expanation of your inspiration and the process.

    ReplyDelete
  67. bE-U-tE-FUL!!!!! Love those colors!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  68. Gorgeous! It was nicely done. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think, thanks for taking the time to join in the conversation